Frequently Asked Questions - Food

Q: What do I need to get a food permit?
A: Contact Health Department Office.

Q: What is the cost of a food permit?
A: See fee schedule.

Q: What is the cost for a temporary event?
A: See fee schedule.

Q: Whom do I contact for Certified Food Handlers testing?
A: Classes/testing are offered through Ivy Tech and Allen Co. Purdue Extension Office. You will need to talk to them for information or on line at (Safe Food Handler’s Corp) or (Restaurant & Hospitality Association of Indiana).

Q: Can I run a restaurant or catering food service out of my home?
A: No, Indiana state law prohibits any type of food service operations in a private residence.

Q: Is it required that all employees wear gloves in restaurants?
A:  It is required that there be no bare hands contact with ready to eat foods.  The use of gloves, tongs, tissues, spatulas, scoops, or other dispensing utensils is acceptable.

Q: How do I set up a pre-opening inspection for a facility?
A: You must call the Health Department office to a pre-opening inspection.

Q: Will an environmentalist come to inspect a facility that I plan to purchase for a restaurant?
A: Our office routinely look at empty buildings for conversion to a food service.  With the right amount of resources, most any building can be converted to a food service.

Q: What is the renewal date for a food license?
A: Food Service Licenses must be renewed by December 31st of each year.

Q: How do I report an unlicensed facility?
A: Contact Judy Fox at Health Department office.

Q: Whom do I contact to report someone selling food out of his or her vehicle?
A: Contact Judy Fox at Health Department office.

Q: How do I report becoming ill from a restaurant?
A: Contact Judy Fox at the Health Department Office.